Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Embellish Magazine Nautical Challenge -

The wonderful folks over at Embillish Magazine have teamed up with my all time fave stamp company, DeNami Design, to bring us a challenge that is sure to get us in the mood for a beach vacation!



I had a lot of fun coming up with this card. Don’t ya just love a relaxing walk on the beach and picking up pretty sea shells? And just what do we do with all those beautiful shells we collect....we display them in a pretty little bowl of course!

I made a standard card from chocolate card stock and added a layer of maroon card stock. To make the “water” I cut a panel of white card stock and colored it all over with a light blue chalk then went over that with another shade of light blue. To make the “waves” I tore the edge and using the scrap I tore off, just went across the torn edge randomly with turquoise chalk. To make the “sand” I started off with a piece of cream card stock. I inked it all over with a distress ink then using a lightish brown and chocolate brown ink, added the pebble texture. I adhered the “sand” panel then adhered the “water” panel just over lapping the other panel slightly to the card base. I stamped the fish bowl onto a piece of acetate and cut it out then added a little of my sand technique to the very bottom of it. So it wouldn’t be so clear, I placed that little piece of tissue that comes with it back on. I stamped all the shells onto a piece of scrap cream card stock, colored them in and fussy cut them all out. After deciding where to place the bowl, I added a couple of shells “inside” the bowl (between the acetate & tissue layer) and attached it with glue dots. Then I adhered the rest of the shells randomly all over the card (some attached with pop dots). I punched 2 scalloped (haha - a fishy reference!!) circles, stamped my sentiment and added another shell. I finished it all off with a pretty maroon ribbon / bow.

Supplies:

Card stock – white, chocolate, cream & maroon

Color – Tombow markers
              Tim Holtz Linen Distress
              Staz-on Black, Saddle Brown & Timber Brown
              Stampin Up chalk – Bliss Blue, Ballet Blue & Tempting Turquoise

Stamps – DeNami Design #D132 You’re a treasure sentiment
                  DeNami Design #H82 Medium round bowl
                  DeNami Design #PF04 Seashell stamp set
                  Stampin Up – itty bitty backgrounds set


Other – Marvy 1 ½” & 2” scallop punches
               Acetate by Stampendous
              Dollar store ribbon
              Glue dots
              Pop dots
              tape runner


I hope you enjoyed my take on this wonderfully fun theme!!

No comments: